ILES is a group for disabled people to explore issues related to independent living and support each other to find solutions.

Many of our members receive a Personal Budget (either for themselves, or on behalf of a family member) from East Sussex County Council Adult Social Care (ASC), or NHS Continuing Health Care (CHC) to pay for their care and support to enable them to stay in their own home. For this reason, much of our discussion relates to issues connected with Personal Budgets. However, we all know that health or social care funding is just one part of people's lives and that there are many other issues concerning us related to independent living. Some examples of topics we might discuss are:

  • Getting the right health or social care services to meet our needs
  • Finding a PA (Personal Assistant) to support someone to live at home and access the community
  • Hints and tips on communicating and working with a PA
  • Moving from DLA (Disability Living Allowance) to PIP (Personal Independence Payment)
  • Wheelchair services in East Sussex
  • Finding local accessible events

If you receive a Personal Budget for yourself or on behalf of a family member, or you’re a disabled person interested in independent living, you can join ILES. Please contact Theresa Hodge by e-mmail at, or call 07596 329967.